Friday, June 4, 2010

Mercedes-Benz Club

After recently purchasing a used 2000 Mercedes Benz SL500; Mercedes-Benz's flagship sports car of the time, I have decided to join the Mercedes-Benz Club of America. Although this is the second Mercedes-Benz that we own; I certainly believe it will be the one to provide the most fun. While our ML320 is also beautiful, it is simply more of a roll-up-your-sleeves and go to the garden store utilitarian vehicle.  Amazingly enough, it is just as comfortable and luxurious as our SL500.  My goal with joining the club is to make some new friends, although I'm a little concerned that they might all turn out to be significantly older than we are. While that might be ok, and not turn out to be a problem, I'm sincerely hoping that I don't feel like the guy whose the last one standing during team selections of  high school gym class.

The club is sponsoring a neat event in July that I have already signed up for. We are going to a winery in San Martin, CA. There will will receive some "classroom" training and do some of our own actual photography to put our skills and what we've learned in practice.  There is lunch and wine tasting as well. So it should make for a fun day.  Now, while this might strike you as absurd, I am pretty shy.  So I'm hoping that I'll do ok and be able to get the most out of this event.  It will be my first dive in to a club activity and my first encounter with a bunch of total strangers who, right at this point, only have one thing in common - the love of their Mercedes-Benz.

I've also contacted the person who handles the photography for the club events and told him about my interest in helping out.  I will be meeting him in person at the event.  He's an older man and made mention already of me helping out, since he's older and can't make it to all of the events due to some health restrictions.

What's the point in joining the club you might ask, the answer is somewhat elusive to me too. I just thought I should do it and see what became of it. A co-worker is a member of a Corvette club and loves it. He says that he's met some of his best friends through the club and has had some really fun times.  So, for right now, that is my answer as well.

From my office a have a clear view of where my car is parked daily as it graciously awaits for me to bring the engine back to life. The car performs as beautifully as it looks.....classic lines, understated elegance and implied power and prestige.  So, maybe Countess LuAnn De Lesseps (click link for her new song) is wrong; money you can by class; at least where a car is concerned. Now, of course, that leads me to another statement. While this car was $100,000 brand new; I bought it used and for nowhere near that price. This car has a 302 hp 5.0 liter V8 and is electronically limited to 155 mph. While I have only owned the car for a little over a month and have not had the opportunity to take it out on the open road for a long weekend drive, my daily freeway commutes have allowed me to somewhat enjoy it's power and refined engineering.  The car is completely stock with the exception of the Alpine stereo head-unit that I had installed.  The speaker and sub-woofer perform incredibly and the addition of the Alpine allow me a vast number of music sources - CD, Sirrus Satellite Radio, MP3, and iPod.  Also, it allows my cell phone to route calls through the cars' speakers for hands-free capabilities.

The car also comes with an all-alluminum hard top that matches the cars' Magma Red paint.  While I have that top in storage now for the summer roadster season, I am looking forward to experiencing the car with the hard top installed.

So, that is the end for right now......stay tuned for more car club and general car updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment